Wednesday 19 March 2008

Realpolitik

Juno is a really good movie. I have a soft spot for non-mainstream, underdog stuff, and Juno really cuts it for me. Personally, it was flawless. I won't even consider its idealistic nature a problem - it declares 'idealistic' with such delicately well executed acting and plot development that Juno wouldn't be what it is otherwise.

I enjoyed the simple nature of the story. I like the messages of love, life and humanity it carries across social and class cleavages. I think the soundtrack is wicked - whenever the music came on, it was spot on for the mood in its seemingly child-like simplicity, yet not devoid of its bitingly connotative tunes and lyrics in almost mock fashion. And most of all, I absolutely delighted in the acting, sarcasm and wit of Juno and her really darn kickass parents, especially her dad. It makes me wanna unabashedly say that I think Juno is really cool and likeable.

Step Up 2 really pales in comparison with it's first installment. While I know I shouldn't be watching such dance movies for the plot, this one's was particularly bad I think. Character development was non-existent and the plot was incredibly unbelievable and painfully predictable. But nonetheless, the show still has a major feel-good factor with its dances that make me wish I could move that well too. The final scene of the dance in the rain out in the streets was dope.

For those who hate politics and the like, skip what comes next.

It is yet another very enlightening Tuesday with political science once again. We talk about stuff like the international political economy (IPE) and how it lies within the blanket of globalisation and, one level up, international security, addressing the schools of thought that concern these issues. Realism asserts that briefly, states in the world, irregardless of time, seek to preserve the survival of the state through self-help, and that war is an inevitable means or byproduct in achieving these aims. We talk about the possible necessity of bipolar order - where there was once the US and the Soviet Union forming the balance, now China is the rising dragon that is counteracting the US hegemony, once again giving weight to bipolar proponents. It is argued that violence and war are inevitable, and it is understandable how optimists readily attempt to refute this by saying that we can actually offset the need for conflict through cooperation. Yet, as we look at how, after each major war - World War I, World War II, the Cold War, we enjoy peace for no longer than a decade each time after a war is through, we can start to wonder if the need for war can ever be truly eradicated. And true enough to war-centered and pessimistic prediction, about a decade after the Cold War came 9/11 and every other violent conflict that terrorism and wars of this new age bring about. The relevance of ideology has never been more surreal as old adages find new forms through new means such as globalisation.

With Good Friday, I'm up for yet another unofficial one-week holiday. So yeh no classes, more or less, til next Tuesday, unlike every other underprivileged student in SMU.

I can't dispute that I probably needed this wake up call that was quite on the cards but just not happening soon enough. Now I guess I'm really getting somewhere myself.




I wish my lawn was emo so that it would cut itself.

Audio Candy:
Juno Reactor - Mona Lisa Overdrive

No comments: